The mission of Baykeeper is to protect and enhance the water quality of the San Francisco Bay for the benefit of its ecosystems and human communities. Founded in 1989, this organization uses advocacy, science, on-the-water patrols, public education and legal action to strengthen clean water laws and hold polluters accountable.
Baykeepers accomplishments are impressive, and in the last six months alone this organization:
–Secured agreements from eleven different cities that will help significantly reduce sewage pollution in the Bay.
–Mobilized 120 environmental groups to oppose a federal bill exempting pesticides from the Clean Water Act.
–Won a major federal court ruling in its case against West Bay Sanitary District, which was found liable for sewage spills that contaminated local creeks and the Bay.
–Organized a committee of environmental advocates to help make the upcoming America’s Cup races green and Bay-friendly.
Baykeeper is also one of twelve members of the California Coastkeeper Alliance, a non-profit organization that coordinates, supports and enhances the work of local California Waterkeepers in order to ensure Californians enjoy clean water and a healthy coast.
Contributions to Baykeeper help to:
• Stop millions of gallons of raw and undertreated sewage from entering the Bay;
• Hold cities accountable for keeping trash, oil and pesticides out of the Bay;
• Enforce new mercury pollution limits for cement kilns and oil refineries;
• Stand up for smart climate change planning in the Bay; and
• Make sure a plan is in place to protect our shorelines if another oil spill happens.
Green Box Top is proud to announce Baykeeper as its July beneficiary. A percentage of each Green Box Top sale in July goes to support Baykeeper and its mission of clean water and a healthy coast.